March 20, 2012

Green Chile Chicken Soup with Lime (5 P+)

I'm working on using my slow-cooker more often.  As a general rule, I'm not a huge fan of the slow-cooker.  I usually end up with mushy meat or bland flavors.  I like things fresh and bold.  BUT...I also like my sanity.  And since there is something about the dinner hour that seems to turn babies everywhere into hobgoblins I've been trying to make use of the slow-cooker so my hands are free during that infamous time.

This soup takes some prep work to make it happen, but I think it's worth it.  Most of the prep (cooking rice, roasting garlic) can be done the night before if you're pressed for time in the morning.  Some of it can be skipped entirely (sauteeing the onion) if you're not like me and don't have texture issues when it comes to food.  It is also easily adaptable for the stovetop.  Basically what I'm saying is that this recipe is more a guideline than a set of rules.  Make it your own and dig in!

Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, pan-roasted and pressed or minced (see tip below)
6 cups chicken broth
2 (14.5 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 (4 ounce) can fire-roasted diced green chiles
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
2 limes, juiced for 1/4 cup
1 cup cooked rice (basmati is my favorite, but plain ol' brown or white works)
1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
Sriracha hot sauce, to taste (optional)
Feta cheese, for garnish (optional)

Directions
Saute the onion on the stovetop over medium-high heat until it begins to soften.  (I like my onion to be so soft it's unnoticeable.  You can skip this step if you don't mind crunchier onion in your soup.)

Add the onion, garlic, broth, tomatoes (undrained), chiles (undrained), cumin, and chicken breast to the slow cooker.  Cook for 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.  If your chicken is thawed you should probably shorten the cooking time accordingly.

During the last 30 minutes add the lime juice, cooked rice, and cilantro.  Remove the chicken breast and shred it; return it to the soup.  Season with salt, pepper, and more cumin to taste.  Serve with a drizzle of sriracha and a sprinkling of feta cheese.  Some warm corn tortillas and fresh salsa on the side make a perfect addition!


To pan-roast the garlic:  Place the unpeeled garlic cloves in a small skillet over medium-high heat.  Let them sit until black spots appear.  Turn the cloves over and roast for another minute or two until blackened.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  The cloves should be soft and should peel easily.


Adapted from Picky Palate
Makes 6 servings
5 Points+ per serving (excluding cheese)

No comments:

Post a Comment