April 1, 2012

Recipe Round-Up (March 2012)

March was a loss.  And I don't mean the weight kind.  My weight is exactly the same this month as it was last month.  I had a week of celebration where I hit a milestone, but I gained two pounds the next week and have been toying with the same 0.6 pounds for the last two weeks.  There are plenty of factors that contributed to the problem, not the least of which is a lack of planning and self-control on my part.  I talked to Aaron this morning and we have agreed to make April a "do or die month".  Either we crack down and do this right, or we don't spend the money to continue my Weight Watchers subscription.  I'm voting for the "do" rather than the "die".  Who's with me?

Despite the lack of self-control and haphazard meal planning I did manage to find a few new recipes that we really enjoyed.

General Tso's Chicken
by Rebecca (from Tasty Kitchen)

This really tasted like take-out from our local Chinese joint, and I'm sure it was less points.  It's 8 Points+ per serving (without rice), and both my husband and I loved it.  As a matter of fact, he's STILL talking about it two days later.  Word to the wise, trust the recipe.  I love spicy food, and I just couldn't see how 1 teaspoon of chili-garlic sauce could possibly be enough.  Particularly when combined with the 3 tablespoons of raw sugar.  I like things hot.  Really hot.  So I tripled it.  Um.  Don't do that.  The End.

Man Pleasing Chicken
by Witty In The City



The title of this recipe does not lie.  Aaron lurved it.  And it's only 6 Points+ per serving.  Here are my recommendations:  1) Use real maple syrup.  The good stuff.  Aunt Jemima is a nice old lady, but this ain't the place for her.  2) Cut the sauce in half.  You don't need the chicken to swim in it.  3)  Use fresh rosemary.  Use fresh rosemary.  Use fresh rosemary.  4) Coat your pan with foil.  The sauce will burn onto the side of your pan and become a previously undiscovered substance that is scientifically impossible to remove from bakeware.  

Chicken Rollatini with Prosciutto and Cheese
by Skinny Taste

4 Points+ per serving.  I didn't change a thing.  They were perfect.  I ate one with oven-roasted asparagus and sauteed mushrooms, and I was full to the brim.  

Crockpot Italian Turkey Meatballs
by Skinny Taste

These are still on my "iffy" list.  I will make them again, but I will make sure that I'm more careful about densely packed they are.  The flavor was wonderful, and they sure were easy, but they were a little bit dense and dry.  I'm sure it was user-error, and these will be back on our meal plan for Slow-Cooker Night very soon.  A dollop of ricotta on the side was a nice touch.  5 Points+ per serving.  

Cilantro Lime Tilapia Tacos
by Skinny Taste

I don't like fresh tomatoes, so I used a can of petite diced tomatoes.  I forgot to drain them.  My fish thought they never left the sea.  Oops.  Other than my stupid mistake these were fantastic.  I left out the avocado because I don't like it and instead gave the tacos a sprinkling of feta cheese and a drizzle of hot pepper sauce.  They tasted quite a bit like the fish tacos from Fuzzy's.  Hubby was happy.  8 Points+ for two tacos.  

Good Ol' Basic Mexican Rice
by Pioneer Woman

What?!?!  A recipe by PW is Weight Watchers friendly?  It's true.  Okay, 6 Points+ per serving is a little high for a side dish, but this is the best recipe for Mexican Rice I've found, and when paired when a low point main dish it all evens out.  Or splurge a little and pair it with Skinny Taste's Cilantro Lime Tilapia Tacos.  It's worth it.  

Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes
by Skinny Taste


These were amazing.  I pan-roasted the garlic and pressed it instead of boiling it with the potatoes.  These plus some green beans were the perfect compliment to Man-Pleasing Chicken.  4 Points+ per serving.

Cinnamon French Toast Bake
by Oh My Sugar High! (and Pillsbury)


And the Sinful Recipe of the Month Award goes to...Cinnamon French Toast Bake.  Oh my word.  Oh my word.  Oh.  My.  Word.  My husband devoured this like it was his last meal.  I slowly ate my little square, and I was surprisingly full.  Thank goodness I was because it works out to 11 Points+ per serving.  And it's  worth every single one.  

Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment