October 27, 2010

Thai Shrimp Curry (6 P+)

15 minutes.  That's how long this took from start to finish.  I was skeptical when I first read the recipe, but Jaden from Steamy Kitchen hasn't steered me wrong yet.  Plus, shrimp was on sale and who am I to refuse that little treasure!  This didn't taste anything like I thought it would.  These flavors combine perfectly to create a totally new taste, and I was really excited by how simple and delicious this was.

Here's the link to the recipe on Steamy Kitchen:  10-Minute Shrimp and Mushroom Thai Curry

Before you make it there are a couple of things to note:

1)  This is not Indian curry.  This is Thai curry.  It tastes different.  At least to me it does.

2)  Red curry paste is easy to find in a little jar in the ethnic section of the grocery store.  Mine is Thai Kitchen brand and it cost about $3.  I used 2 tablespoons, and I have plenty left.  The jar will keep in the fridge for awhile.

3)  Coconut milk.  Ok, word of warning...coconut milk apparently separates and solidifies when it is canned.  I opened my can (after shaking it vigorously as instructed) and what I saw looked like paste.  It was thick and solid.  And it scared me.  But something magical happened when I stuck a butter knife into the can and stirred - the milk softened and liquefied and smoothed out.  So, my friends, do not be scared by the solid paste of coconut milk when you first open the can.  Everything will turn out alright in the end.

4)  Seasonings.  Please add plenty of curry paste.  As I mentioned earlier, I used 2 tablespoons because I didn't want it to be overwhelming.  It was, in fact, the opposite.  Next time I will definitely use more curry paste.  I will also use salt.  The moral of the story is this:  taste and season as you go.  Also, in my humble opinion, the fresh basil leaves are not optional.  They are a requirement. 

5)  I just ran spell check, and apparently I've been spelling the word "liquefied" incorrectly for 30 years.  Who knew?!

*****************************************************************
Printable Recipe
Makes 4 servings
6 Weight Watchers Points per serving (without rice)

No comments:

Post a Comment