August 25, 2010

Avgolemono (4 P+)

I had a root canal yesterday.  I kept thinking of the West Wing episode where CJ has a "woot canaw" and keeps saying "Pwesident".  I also kept thinking about this soup, so I made it last night because it sounded like something I could eat with a half-numb mouth.  Avgolemono is a Greek soup that I've been told means "egg and lemon" or "lemon and egg" or something like that.  This is the recipe I make when I have a sore throat or nasty sinus pressure. I also make it when I'm not in the mood to cook anything that requires more than 15 minutes or more than 2-3 dishes. It's simple but hearty, and healthy, too.
Here's what you need:
6 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup orzo
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (usually takes 1 large lemon)
2 eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
 
Here's what you do:
Bring the broth to boil in a 3-4 quart pot.  Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente, usually 7-9 minutes.
 
While the pasta is cooking juice the lemon.  Then beat the eggs with a fork until until frothy.
 
Once the pasta is done turn the heat to low.  Whisk the lemon juice into the eggs until well blended.  Slowly add one ladle of the hot chicken broth to the lemon-egg mixture, whisking constantly. 
 
Pour the lemon-egg-broth into the soup pot, stirring constantly.  You don't want chunks of egg - you just want a nice thick creamy texture.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.
 
This recipe makes 4 servings.

By the way, if you're in the mood for something with a little more substance you should try Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo which is a more involved version of Avgolemono.
********************************************************************
1 serving = 1-1/2 cups = 4 WW Points

No comments:

Post a Comment