July 1, 2010

Chicken Piccata (7 P+)

Because of the conference last weekend I didn't really do a meal plan. It's been sort of a dig-through-the-freezer-and-see-what-you-come-up-with kind of week. I was awfully excited when I discovered I had everything I needed to make Chicken Piccata. I was also surprised when I realized I hadn't posted that recipe yet because it's one of our absolute favorites. Go easy on the butter and the oil and you'll have a light but filling dinner that comes together in a flash.

Here's what you need:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/4 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine (I like Chardonnay)
1/2 cup chicken broth
Juice of one lemon
2 Tbsp capers, drained
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste

A note about capers: I don't know what capers are, but I do know that I love them. They look weird. Don't be afraid. Also, don't get the kind packaged in balsamic vinegar because the flavor just doesn't work for most dishes.

A note about butter: Please use real butter. I won't get on my soapbox (this time) about the disgusting nature of margarine, but do some research. If you do you'll never ever ever ever eat margarine again. Real butter. Thank you.

A note about cheese: Repeat after me - "I will not use the powdered stuff that comes in the shaker container. I will only use cheese that is stored in the refrigerated section. I will also refrain from buying pre-shredded cheese as much as possible because I understand that pre-shredded cheese has additives that make it distinctly un-cheese-like." I have serious cheese issues. And I'm at peace with it.

Seriously though, this dish has so few ingredients that you have to buy the best you can. Please please please. Thank you.

Here's what you do:
1) Pound the chicken breast. This is the single most important part of this recipe. You want chicken breast cutlets that are no more than 1/2 inch thick, and really 1/4 inch is best. If the chicken is too thick it won't cook evenly and will end up dry in some places and raw in other. I like to put mine in a ziploc bag and use my fist to tenderize the meat; then I'll pull out the big guns and use my meat mallet to finish it off. And sometimes it helps to cut the breasts in half so you end up with several smaller cutlets.

2) Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. You want a really hot skillet, so this will take about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, spread the flour onto a large plate. Pat the chicken dry and salt and pepper one side. Lay the seasoned side in the flour, and gently press. Salt and pepper the other side, and flip the chicken to completely coat in the flour. Gently shake off the excess flour and set the cutlets on a plate.

3) Once the skillet is hot add the oil and butter. Once the butter is melted and everything is hot put the chicken in the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on the first side until golden brown. Then flip the chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes until almost cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate.

4) Throw the garlic into the skillet and immediately add the wine. Deglaze the pan (which means use the wine to loosen up the little brown bits) and let the wine reduce for about a minute. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, capers, and parsley and bring to a boil. Allow to reduce for 1-2 minutes.

5) Put the chicken back in the skillet, turning to coat it with the sauce. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over each cutlet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through.

Serve this over pasta with a crisp salad or some fresh steamed veggies.

*****************************************************************
Nutritional Information
1 serving = 1 chicken cutlet (about 1/4 pound) and 1/4 cup sauce = 7 WW Points+

1 comment:

  1. I just can't do real butter. Doc says too much saturated fat even in small amounts. So its either margerine or nothing. I did a lot of research and Promise is really not bad (and I eat almost all natural foods). Also Sargento shredded cheese has no additives or preservative. Good recipe. By the way papers are buds off of a plant.

    ReplyDelete