July 2, 2010

Everyday Vinaigrette (2 P+)

Last night I was completely out of WW points, but I was still hungry. This may or may not be due to the 8 points I blew on a gigantic Dr Pepper yesterday afternoon. I refuse to regret that decision. So there.

I decided that a salad was the best way to go, but you have to be careful with salad because, as we all know, the best part is the dressing. And the best part of anything is always the worst thing for you. Thus, I went on a search for a salad dressing that was low in points, and I stumbled onto this little nugget of joy. Even Aaron - the man who thinks any non-creamy dressing is of the devil - agreed this was good stuff. The recipe calls for 2 medium shallots, very finely chopped, but I didn't have any so I ignored that part. I'm a rebel like that. Next time I think I'll add the shallots to see if it thickens it up any, but the flavor is delicious without them. This could be a great marinade as well.

I threw together a simple salad of romaine lettuce and sweet peppers. Then I topped it off with this vinaigrette, some sea salt, and a little freshly ground black pepper.

And there was much rejoicing.

Here's what you need:
1 tsp table salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 Tbsp canned chicken broth, low-sodium
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp + 2 Tsp olive oil

Here's what you do:
Sprinkle the salt over the garlic on a cutting board, and mash it to a paste with the flat side of a heavy knife. Or you could be like my husband: Throw the garlic and salt into a small bowl and attack with the bottom of a spoon. Regardless of method, your goal is garlic paste.

Combine the garlic paste with the rest of the ingredients in a small jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake well. Dump it on your salad.

***********************************************************************
Nutrition Information
1 serving = 2 Tbsp = 2 WW Point+

Source: Weight Watchers

No comments:

Post a Comment