March 3, 2012

Recipe Round-Up (February 2012)

This was a sparse blogging month.  It wasn't that I didn't cook - I just didn't create much and I didn't try many new things.  It was sort of a "survival" month.  Nothing horribly tragic happened.  It was just life.  Teething, congested baby.  Grandfather with Alzheimer's.  New projects at church.  Life.

I also spent some time redesigning things around here a little bit.  What do you think about the new look?  Every time I try to work on improving things I become very aware of just limited I am regarding knowledge of HTML, CSS, and all that internet mumbo jumbo.  And also, I have decided that I really need photo editing software.

My weight loss was slower this month.  I only lost 3.8 pounds all month, but I think I'm okay with that.  My total weight loss over two months is 10.8 pounds.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Here's what we tried this month that was added to the "keeper" list.  And, yes, most of them are from Skinny Taste.  As my college roommate would say, her blog "rocks my face off".

Meatballs with Peppers and Pineapple
by Pioneer Woman

10 Points+ per serving (without rice).  This is one of those meals where you can really make adjustments to the points depending on what kind of meatballs you use and how many you eat.  I used 36 frozen Market Pantry Turkey Meatballs.  The points here assume you make this four servings.  If you split it up into six servings it's only 7 Points+.  Shortcut Tip:  If you use frozen meatballs, change the way you make it.  Bring the sauce to a boil, add the meatballs and let them simmer while the rice cooks.  During the last ten minutes add the peppers and pineapple.  Then add the cornstarch at the last minute to thicken it up.

Bruschetta Chicken Bake
by Kraft Recipes

7 Points+ per serving.  I did not make one single change to this recipe.  Both my husband and I devoured it and went looking for  seconds.  Then I decided not to use the points for that and saved them for popcorn during movie night.  My husband had seconds AND popcorn.  And drank a soda.  And didn't gain an ounce.  He now sleeps on the couch.  The End.

Meatball & Spaghetti Soup
by Skinny Taste

5 Points+ per serving.  I used frozen Market Pantry Turkey Meatballs.  Again.  It's become a habit.  If you use larger meatballs you might want to add a little more broth and/or tomato sauce.  

Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
by Skinny Taste

I doubled the sauce on this one, and I added some sriracha because I like things spicy.  At 9 Points+ per serving this felt a little like a splurge because the serving size wasn't huge.  Still, it was delicious and it gave me an opportunity to eat from a pineapple.  Which I didn't actually do.  But it would've been cool if I had.

Pork Chops with Mushrooms and Shallots
by Skinny Taste

5 Points+ per serving.  Another recipe that I didn't change up.  I was feeling uncreative this month.  I didn't even eat from a pineapple when I had the chance.  Anyway, this one got rave reviews from my husband.  We used boneless pork loin chops, and they were delicious!  Serve this with some mashed potatoes (use Yukon Gold and you won't need butter) and the green beans I posted below.  Yum!

Slow-Cooked Puerto Rican Pork
by Skinny Taste

4 Points+ per serving.  Okay, this one I jacked with.  I didn't make any changes to the marinade (it didn't need any!), but I forgot to marinate it the night before.  Actually, I forgot to put it in the crockpot until 2:30 in the afternoon.  I was wrestling a 7 month old teething hellbeast.  I ended up seasoning it per the recipe, but I cooked it on high for 1 hour and low for 5 hours.  I used a pork sirloin roast which is leaner (I think) than the shoulder roast it calls for, so it cooked faster.  Then we served it Chipotle style in a bowl with rice, beans, lettuce, cilantro, salsa, and some feta cheese.  Delicious!

Chipotle's Cilantro Lime Rice
by Skinny Taste

5 Points+ per serving adds up in a hurry, but this one is worth it.  It really does taste like the rice at Chipotle, and a little goes a long way.  Next time you're doing Mexican give this one a try!

Roasted Parmesan Green Beans
by Skinny Taste

These go with everything and are a cinch to throw together.  And for just 2 Points+ per serving there's really no reason not to make this on a regular basis.

Rocky Road Brownie Dessert
by Pampered Chef

I will not post Points+ for this recipe.  This one falls under my "don't-ask-don't-tell" rule.  If you don't have a Deep Covered Baker you need one.  (www.pamperedchef.biz/saraht)  But this is not intended to be a commercial.  I made this for a Pampered Chef show in February, and it most definitely lived up to the hype.  It's good.  It's really really good.  And it all happens in the microwave.   In about 15 minutes.  You heard me.  Please make this next time you're feeling a little feisty and your pants are a little loose.  It'll take care of both problems.  I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment