October 7, 2011

Spaghetti Bolognese

Wednesday night I made Spaghetti Bolognese.  I rarely stray from my tried and true spaghetti recipe, but I was inspired to branch out when I found this recipe on Pinterest.  And, wow, am I glad I did.  Like all recipes I ended up adjusting it to my tastes, so I'll give you the original link as well as my changes.  Don't skip the Gorgonzola Garlic Bread (find the recipe by clicking the link).  It's amazing!!

Spaghetti Bolognese (click here for the original recipe)

1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound Italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
Pinch of hot red pepper flakes
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup cream
1 large can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large can crushed tomatoes
salt and pepper
If you have a rind from a Parmesan cheese add it to the pot to simmer along with the sauce.  I read this tip on the recipe's website and I tried it.  Yum!

Saute chopped onions and celery in olive oil until softened. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the meat and saute until no longer pink. Add cream and simmer until it has evaporated.  Add 1/2 cup white wine and simmer until wine has evaporated. Add the dried herbs. Add tomatoes and simmer for at least 2 hours on low heat.  Stir in the parsley during the last 30 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
Serve over spaghetti with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

NOTE:  If the sauce gets too thick while simmering add a little chicken broth.

1 comment:

  1. I love spaghetti since I was a child. My mom always cooks me, my brothers and my sister whenever it's our birthday or other special occasions that needs celebrating. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Now I can cook for my mom. I'll definitely make this before I get my Food Safety Training.

    ReplyDelete