August 24, 2011

Broccoli-Cheese Soup (5 P+)

I found this recipe while I cleaning out some old files, and I can't believe I forgot about it for so long.  It's simple and reasonably healthy considering there's no butter or heavy cream like most cream-based soups.  Serve it with a baguette or a baked potato.  Yum!



NOTE:  I am not a professional food photographer.  I am, in fact, a very amateur food photographer.  Feel free to laugh at my pitiful attempt to capture soup in a bowl in a dark kitchen.  Thank you!

Ingredients:
3/4 pound broccoli, cut into small florets
1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup half-and-half
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Bring chicken broth to a boil and add broccoli and carrot.  Cook on a low boil for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until the broccoli is tender and begins to fall apart.  Whisk the flour into the water and add to the boiling broth, stirring constantly until the soup thickens.  Turn the heat to low and stir in the half-and-half and cheese.  Cook until the cheese melts.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 4
5 WW Points+ per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment