September 20, 2010

Kick It Up A Notch! (Jambalaya)

I didn't lose one pound this week.  Not one.  I have decided that I am officially on a weight loss plateau at 14.5 pounds, so it's time to "kick it up a notch".  I'm changing my weigh-in day to Fridays (so I can splurge on the weekends and un-do it during the work week when I'm more motivated), and I'm kicking up the exercise routine with some more intense cardio.  The treadmill just isn't cutting it anymore.  I'm going to try a couple of Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home videos and see how they work for me.  I also found 10-Minute Solution workouts on Netflix Instant which I'm really excited about. 

In honor of kicking it up a notch I decided to post my jambalaya recipe.  I like spicy foods, so keep that in mind.  If you are a big fat crybaby sensitive to spicy things you'll want to stay on the low side of the optional ingredients or just eliminate them completely.  Just let me say this...if you leave out the Tabasco and you cut way down on the Cajun seasoning please don't email me and whine that your jambalaya had no flavor.  Cajun food is meant to have a kick.  Just ask Emeril...

Here's what you need:
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
1 pound andouille sausage, cooked and sliced thin (If you can't find andouille you can use hot Italian sausage)
1 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cups diced onion
2 cups diced celery
2 cups diced bell pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed (more if you want!)
2-3 Tbsp Cajun seasoning (the more the spicier!)
1 Tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup basil chiffonade (click the link if you don't know what I'm talking about)
1 Tbsp Tabasco (optional)
1-3 Tsp gumbo file powder (optional)
Salt to taste

Here's what you do:
1) Heat a very large deep skillet or a wok over medium-high heat until it's very hot.  Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and heat until it shimmers.  Add the chicken thighs and cook until no longer pink.  (I usually season the chicken with salt and pepper but that's optional).  Remove the chicken its juices to a bowl and set aside.

2) Add the sausage and saute until browned and hot.  Remove the sausage and its juices to the the same bowl as the chicken and set aside.

3) Add the butter.  When it is melted add the onion, celery, and bell pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until for 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, Cajun seasoning, thyme, and bay leaf.  Cook 3-5 minutes more until the vegetables are very tender.

4) Pour in the tomatoes (with their juices) and the chicken broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook (uncovered) for 15 minutes.

5) Add the basil chiffonade, Tabasco, and shrimp.  Stir to combine.  Sprinkle the file powder on the top of the jambalaya and gently sitr.  Cook on low heat until the shrimp are pink, 5-7 minutes.  Add salt to taste.

Serve over rice and garnish with sliced green onions.

NOTE:  Yes, I know that gumbo file powder is for gumbo.  I know that I may possibly be breaking a law of Cajun cuisine.  But until an overall-wearing man with bubba teeth and a large shotgun shows up at my door and tells me to knock it off I'm going to make my jambalaya the way I like it. 

*************************************************************************
Printable Recipe

4 comments:

  1. Who you callin' a cry baby? Bam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I was calling you a crybaby. You gotta problem with it? :) Seriously though, I thought about adding a little note that if you are a picky eater who lives in Kansas you might want to skip this entry completely. But I decided not to call you out like that. Now that you're getting sassy I'll let the sarcasm fly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have walk away the pounds and they do work just after a while she's so annoying, good tip mute it and blast fun music over it. i just discovered the workouts on netflix too! i did the 10 min solution the dance once yesterday so fun but really a workout. good luck love the receipes. making the white chicken enchiladas this week for a friend, so excited going to make some extras for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heehee! I've heard that about her. I watched a sample of one last night and she made me cringe several times. I definitely think I'll take your advice once I get the hang of the workouts. So jealous of the enchiladas! Those are definitely not WW friendly. Maybe when I hit the 20 pound mark I'll celebrate by making some enchiladas...

    ReplyDelete