March 2, 2010

Flank Steak with Garlic-Wine Sauce

NOTE:  This was one of my very first blog posts ever.  It's a little high in Weight Watchers points, but it's so good I just had to add it here.  See the "splurge" label?  I created that specifically for this recipe...and a few others that I just couldn't keep from sharing.  Enjoy!

Flank Steak with Garlic-Wine Sauce is a staple in our little family of two. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com several years ago and it was love at first bite. We buy a couple of huge flank steaks, cut them in half, and stick them in freezer. Since we almost always have the ingredients for this recipe on hand it's a quick and easy dinner.

Tonight we got home at 7:00ish. After the initial hoopla surrounding letting out the dog and feeding the cats (who apparently almost starve to death everyday between the hours of 8:00 and 6:00 even though they have a full bowl of food when we leave each morning) I prepped the garlic for roasting. This prep involves hacking off the top of a garlic bulb with a large knife, drizzling it with olive oil, and sprinkling it with salt and pepper so it looks like this:



(I found batteries for my camera!!!)

Wrap the garlic in foil and stick in a 375 oven for around 45 minutes until it looks like this:



(Sorry about the blurred image. The picture looked fine on the little camera screen. I need practice!)

Now I just keep following the recipe - this is one of the few that I don't jack with. Unless I decide to add sliced mushrooms. Or if I'm out of green onions and I sprinkle the steak with a little onion powder instead. So, yeah, I pretty much jack with it. Anyway, the end result looks like this:



It's tender and flavorful and wonderful in every sense of the word. My main bit of advice is to leave it more rare than you think it should be. Overcooked flank steak is most definitely not tender and flavorful and wonderful in every sense of the word. We were eating by 8:15, so this really doesn't take too long when you consider that 45 minutes of the time was spent roasting the garlic.

So that's Flank Steak with Garlic-Wine Sauce. I've found that a medium bodied red works best for this recipe. This time I used a red blend of Merlot/Cabernet Franc/Cabernet Sauvignon. Not too heavy and not too light.

For the green beans I just used a bag of steam-in-the-bag frozen beans. I cooked them according to the package directions and tossed them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. I prefer fresh beans, but ever since my hubby almost lost a finger cutting the tips off the beans I've opted for the frozen variety.

Sorry hon...couldn't resist!

And just for the record, he did the dishes while I sat at the table goofing around with this post.

And that's all I have to say for tonight. Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment