April 28, 2012

Mediterranean Tuna Lettuce Wraps

One thing I am going to have to work out while on Project Real Food is tortillas.  I love hot tortillas with butter, salsa, and cheese.  I love wraps.  I love breakfast tacos and burritos.  I love tortillas.  When we started thinking about making these changes to our diet I thought, "No problem!  We'll just eat whole wheat tortillas and corn tortillas."  Ummmm...problem.  I started trying to find a brand of tortillas that doesn't have sugar, enriched flour, or a list of ingredients I can't pronounce.  I looked at Sprouts, Kroger, and Target (the three stores within a reasonable distance from my house).  There was nothing - not one option.  Sprouts has some sprouted grain tortillas that might be a possibility, but they cost $4 per package and that's just not feasible for us.  I've decided to learn to make my own corn and whole wheat tortillas, but it's going to take some practice.  In the meantime, I'm trying to get used to the idea of lettuce wraps.  I'm resistant.  My brain doesn't want to acknowledge this new form of sandwich delivery.  But this afternoon I made myself do it, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good these were.  The Man-Verdict is still out, but as far as I'm concerned these can be a regular addition to our lunch rotation.  

Ingredients
2 (6 ounce) cans chunk white tuna in water, drained well 
        (press most of the water out for best results)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped calamata olives
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1/2 Tsp lemon zest
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 romaine lettuce leaves

Directions
Mix the tuna, parsley, olives, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper together in a medium bowl.  Serve in lettuce leaves.  

I topped ours with a little sprinkling of feta cheese.


Makes 2 servings
Adapted from Ellie Krieger (So Easy)

No comments:

Post a Comment