April 11, 2012

Crock-Pot BBQ Chicken (7 P+)

My day started at 7:30 with a phone call from my husband telling me I had left my wallet in his truck.  He found it when he was on his way to work and was far enough away that I couldn't just load up and go pick it up.  Which meant no trip to the grocery store until he got home.  Which meant I lost the necessary prep time for the recipe I had planned.  Which meant I needed to come up with something quick based off what was in my freezer and pantry.  Remember the above comment about needing a trip to the grocery store?  I didn't have many options.

I was also dealing with the Great Diaper Blow-out of 2012.  I thought I survived the worst after the blow-out from last week.  I was wrong.  Very very wrong.  My brain was scattered.

Then I remembered my recipe for BBQ Beef, and I wondered about trying it with chicken breast.  And then I smacked my palm on my forehead for not thinking of this sooner.  And then I threw everything in the crock-pot, turned it on low heat, congratulated myself on my brilliance, and walked away.

Without plugging it in.

Yes, I did.

Luckily, I noticed it before long so dinner was ready on schedule, and it tasted like sweet, smoky BBQ sauce and success.  Serve this with some fresh corn on the cob and a tossed green salad.

Ingredients
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tsp liquid smoke flavoring
1 Tsp Franks Red Hot or Tabasco
1/2 Tsp kosher salt
1/4 Tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 Tsp garlic powder

Directions:
Mix up the sauce.  Add the chicken to the crockpot (frozen or thawed; either way works).  Pour the sauce over the top and cover.  Cook on low for 5-6 hours.  Shred the chicken and serve.



1 pound of chicken made four servings
7 Points+ per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment