January 31, 2012

Recipe Round-Up (January 2012)

This month has been an adventure in the eating department.  I had forgotten so much about eating healthy.  Plus, Weight Watchers redesigned their points system, so some of the things I used to eat are now much higher in points.  I've spent several hours this month scouring my cookbooks and many websites looking for inspiration.  I've rediscovered Skinny Taste, and made new "friends" with Emily Bites and Can You Stay For Dinner(Sidenote:  If you have not read Andie's story at Can You Stay For Dinner you really need to stop by.  Her writing is beautiful and her story is inspirational.)  

I have been to the grocery store three times and have not bought butter.  Or candy.  Or Dr Pepper.  I have officially lost seven pounds.

Sometimes I whined.  And griped.  And glared at my skinny husband when he ate Jack In The Box tacos in front of me.  (Yes he did!!)

But when I didn't have to suck it in to zip my jeans on Sunday I was reminded that this is worth it.

Here's a quick glimpse at the new recipes we discovered this month.  All of these have been tested, devoured, and added to our rotation.  Any changes I make have been noted below the link.  Happy Eating!

Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit Cups
by Emily Bites
4 Points+ per cup.  My husband devoured these.  And they reheat well for a grab-and-go breakfast throughout the week

Whole Wheat Pancakes
by Skinny Taste
4 Points+ for two pancakes.  These were delicious, easy, and filling.  Serve with Blueberry Compote (see below).

Blueberry Compote
by Skinny Taste
2 points+ for 2 Tbsp.  The recipe calls for pureeing fresh blueberries, but I just cooked down some whole frozen berries, and it was great.  Perfect over pancakes.  

Buffalo Chicken Dip
by Skinny Taste
Oh. My. Word.  I have a serious problem with chicken wings.  My problem is that I love them.  I crave them.  It ain't pretty.  This hit the spot.  And at 3 Points+ for 1/2 cup plus 0 Points+ for celery it's filling and guilt-free.  Thank you, Cranky Toddler, for bringing this into my life.  

Cheesy Taco Pasta
by Emily Bites
At 9 Points+ this one is a little high, but considering how simple and yummy it is I say it's worth it.  I was skeptical, but I was very pleasantly surprised.  And Aaron gave it two major thumbs up.

Stuffed Pepper Soup
by Skinny Taste
7 points+ for a big bowl of soup (including rice)?  Yes, please!  I loved the rich flavor in this soup, and it  was very simple to throw together on a weeknight.  I didn't have marjoram, so I substituted oregano. Delicious!

Chicken Thighs with Artichokes
by Skinny Taste
Boneless skinless chicken thighs, artichokes, garlic, and feta.  7 Points+ for a huge plate full.  The best part?  The  chicken marinates in the juice from the artichokes, so there's very little prep.

Brown Sugar-Balsamic Glazed Pork Loin
by Let's Dish (photo by C + C Marriage Factory)
The glaze on this was amazing.  I used a very lean cut of pork, and six hours was too long in my crockpot.  I think next time I'll use a regular pork loin (not tenderloin) and keep an eye on the temperature.  I might also try this in the oven, so the glaze will really caramelize.  8 Points+.

Four Cheese-Sausage Stuffed Shells
by Emily Bites
7 Points+ for three shells.  Combine with a Caesar salad made with lite dressing (no croutons), and you've got a meal that feels like eating at an Italian hole-in-the-wall.  I put the filling in a gallon size plastic ziploc bag, snipped off the corner, and piped it into the shells.  Also, I cooked the shells for half their cooking time, so they were still firm when I stuffed them.  They'll finish cooking in the oven.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Then uncover and bake 15 more minutes.  Delicious!

Crockpot Asian Pork with Mushrooms
by Skinny Taste
This is my new favorite meal.  I cannot put into words how mouthwateringly delicious this is!  I added two handfuls of baby spinach during the last 15 minutes.  Don't skip the sriracha sauce.  Just a little drizzle is all you need, and it makes a huge impact on the flavor.  Served over brown rice this is a filling 10 Points+ dinner.  And leftovers are fantastic!

100 Calorie Cupcakes
by Can You Stay For Dinner?
Chocolate cupcake.  1 Point+ (without frosting).  Need I say more? 

No comments:

Post a Comment