June 14, 2010

Berry Blast Smoothie (6 P+)

I have a problem. My problem is smoothies. Let me tell you how much I love smoothies. I could drink a smoothie for breakfast and lunch everyday and probably have a little pre-dinner smoothie snack. It has recently come to my attention, however, that (aside from being pretty darn expensive) most smoothies are deceptively unhealthy. Which is why I have a problem.

The basic source of my information is the Eat This, Not That series. Have you checked these guys out? The books and website are full of wonderful information. Be warned - some of it will scare you absolutely to death when you realize what you've been ignorantly shoving into your mouth. Once I read about the high probability that my beloved smoothies were no better than regular fast food I did some research on my own. And, sure enough, check out what I found.

According to WebMD, A 20-ounce serving of Smoothie King’s The Hulk-Strawberry has more calories than a Burger King Double Cheeseburger with a medium order of French fries.

Or what about the Grape Expectations at Smoothie King? Men's Health magazine says, "with more than half the calories you need in a day and the sugar equivalent of 12 Haagen Dasz ice cream bars, this "drink" should be renamed "diabetes in a glass"."

And check out this article from Women's Health that details the 14 worst "healthy" smoothies.

This is more than enough information, in my opinion, to motivate a person to explore other options.

Most smoothie shops have smarter choices that can cut down on the sugar and fat, but how many of us actually choose those options? And when you look at the financial aspect it just doesn't make sense to spend money on something that can easily be made at home for a fraction of the cost.

This morning I made a Berry Blast Smoothie.

1/2 cup low-fat milk
1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1 tsp honey

It took all of 2 minutes to dump everything in a blender, puree, pour into a cup, and run out the door. It was same number of WW points as a comparably sized Jamba Juice Light smoothie, and it was just as good.

And financially? I spent $1.50 on milk, $3.20 on yogurt, and $8.50 on a huge bag of berries. That totals $13.20 and will make at least eight smoothies. To buy a small 16oz Jamba Juice Light smoothie costs about $3.00 making the total cost for eight smoothies $24 plus tax. I saved 45% by making my own.

If this post has you thinking I encourage you to check out this article as a starting point. The more I read the more I become convicted that Americans have the worst dietary habits on the planet, and I think poor education is a big part of the problem. I challenge you to do some research and learn how to read food labels. It can be a very eye opening experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment